SQL Relay version 0.48 is now available.
This release features some major internal reorganization of the server-side software and integration of a bunch of contributed code.
Outwardly, not much has changed. The most noticeable change is that the sqlr-connection-XXX programs have been replaced with a single sqlr-connection program which now loads a plugin for whichever database it needs to connect to. So, if you have monitoring programs that look for that process, you may need to update them.
The next-most noticeable change is the addition of a stmtcachesize parameter to the connectstring when configuring an instance of SQL Relay to talk to Oracle. Setting this parameter to a value other than 0 enables use of Oracle's Statement Cache which can improve performance significantly. See Configuring SQL Relay for more info on this parameter and Google "Oracle Statement Cache" for more info on that.
Two changes that should improve performance somewhat have been made.
There were cases where the client would tell the server to abort the result set, then wait for a response, unnecessarily, incurring the cost of an additional client-server round-trip. It no longer does this.
The code for talking to Oracle used to re-prepare the query before each execution, if the bind variables had been modified. This was done to work around an issue that could come up when using OCI 8.0 or when running against 8.0 or 8i databases. Oracle has long resolved the issue though, and now the re-prepare is only done in those specific cases.
Other updates and fixes include:
- Integrated patches from Neowiz for:
- handling for oracle errors ora-01033, ora-02067 and ora-04068
- bind validation when using the statement cache
- optionally rejecting oracle queries with duplicate bind variables
- query logging
- separate authentication and response timeouts on the client-side
- environment variables for setting timeouts
- sqlrelay-level errors for exceeding various bounds
- improved statistics gathering
- created a query logging framework
- implemented the current slow query log as a plugin
- implemented the neowiz query log format as a plugin
- created a custom query framework
- implemented the neowiz statistics gathering commands as custom queries
- added a test program for triggers, translations and other extensions and obscure features
- fixed several bugs in the informixtooracledates translation
- added a droplocalizedtemptables trigger
- added support for "global temporary" to temptableslocalize translation
- removed oracletemptablespreserverowsbydefault translation - temptableslocalize is much more effective
- fixed a bug that caused a "no server-side cursors" error to occur when a new session is started if cursors="0" in sqlrelay.conf